Pages

Sunday

PodCastle 336: “Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes On the Day I Graduated High School,” by Nathaniel Lee

PodCastle 336: “Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes On the Day I Graduated High School,” by Nathaniel Lee 


Read by Dave Thompson


I like many podcasts, and PodCastle, the fantasy arm of EscapePod, is one of them. A few of my favourite stories come from there. This year, my contribution to our armory of things to listen to on our way to South Australia for Christmas, was “Why I Bought Satan Two Cokes On the Day I Graduated High School.”

It’s a long title, but when the story has finished, you need it as a clue as to what happened in the end, if you’re the sort of person to whom the final line seems ambiguous.

It’s a post-apocalypse story in which the angels have defeated Satan and are now on earth enforcing curfews and beating Satan up whenever they see him. The narrator, a high school misfit, has kind of made friends with him. They shoplift together. One of the narrator’s problems is that he has to choose an angel to align himself with when he graduates in a few days. He’s not keen on that whole thing.


It’s a fun story, sometimes sad, the kind of thing you’d expect from PodCastle.

Read it here